Thursday, August 2, 2007

Week 6, Thing 15

I have been busy trying to just get through this program while working, cleaning out our library for the move to a new building, trying to tie up loose ends, and occasionally (not often) enjoying a few free minutes with my family, so I must admit that I have had a tiny bit of resentment about doing this program now. As I read through all, yes, all of the articles in this section, I got a wake-up call! Change in our work environment is happening so quickly, and there is so much to learn that we should have been made to take this program sooner.

I have been slow to acknowledge this, even as I grumbled through some of the "things". However, I do enjoy learning so I should be thrilled to know that there are plenty of learning opportunities out there, and who can guess at what's to come?

Anderson's "iceberg" article was relevant to my age group, I believe. The "just in case" collection reflects strong ties to the good old days. As a former teacher, I can relate to the section on user education where he is saying that instead of focusing on educating the patron, we need to improve the access. We also need to take our services to the patron. Adapting to change in the marketplace is essential to keeping our libraries relevant, and, speaking for myself, this old dog better be able to learn some new tricks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home