Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Week 9, Thing 23

Reflections on 23 Things:

1-Favorite discoveries/experiences- I enjoyed setting up my blog, and I felt a sense of accomplishment as I posted each activity that I had completed. I liked Flickr and I also enjoyed creating a make-believe image of myself (several years younger) using Meez.

2-Affect on lifelong learning goals- Although many times I resented the time that it took to do the exercises, I realize that if we are to effectively serve our patrons we need to try to keep up with what is available. I certainly do not have the time or expertise to explore and sort through all of the new technologies that are out there. Therefore, a program like this to guide and advise us in a definite, though sometimes rambling, framework is helpful. Although at times I felt pressured, having weekly tasks (with a little leeway), kept me somewhat focused instead of allowing me to procrastinate. It was important to me that I was able to meet my goal of completing the program within the allotted time period of 12 weeks.

3-Surprises- Before this program, I truly had no idea of what I did and did not know about the internet. I learned some new terms and was introduced to a lot of new technologies and interesting sites. I realize that the internet is vast, change is certain, and we face a constant challenge to be aware of what is out there.

4-Improvements- I understand the importance of this type of program to help us to better serve our patrons. I know that it must be hard to design a program for a cross-section of people with different levels of computer skills, different computers (some old, some new, some outdated), and different working situations. I think that if these exercises are only supposed to take 15 to 20 minutes (and does that include posting a blog each time?), then clearer instructions and hints should be given. Some people work alone and have no support system on site. Occasional workshops (maybe in a computer lab) where we could ask questions and share our experiences before we forget them would be a great improvement.

5-Participate, again?- Yes, I do enjoy learning new things, and I know that I can always benefit from an update on the latest technologies that have been selected as highly relevant to my job.

6-Summary- Am I a successful lifelong learner? I definitely began with the end in mind (hoping I'd get there quickly)! I had to accept responsiblity for my own learning, and, not always happily, I came to view (most) problems as challenges. I did find the program to be worthwhile. Although I had frustrations, I did learn a lot, and I know that I still have a lot to learn. It would be nice if I could keep Ashley in my "toolbox".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home